- 1/3 cup dry break crumbs
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp each dried basil and thyme
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 medium-size ripe tomatoes (just over 1 pound), cored and sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, sugar, basil, thyme and pepper.
- In a 9-inch non-stick pie pan arrange a layer of the tomatoes, sprinkle with 1/3 of the bread crumb mixture and top with 1/2 of the green onions. Continue to layer the tomatoes in the same fashion ending with a layer of break crumbs.
- Melt the margarine and drizzle over the tomatoes; bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Increase the temperature to broil. Transfer the pie pan, if necessary, to about 5 inches from the heat and broil for 2 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden brown.