Falafel (Chick Pea Patties) in Pita Pockets
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained chick peas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp veg oil
- 3/4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head lettuce , roughly torn
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, cubed
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Bake the sesame seeds in a pie pan, uncovered, shaking often, until the seeds are golden-about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the chick peas, cumin, coriander, garlic, cayenne pepper, peanut oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice for 30 second or until smooth; if the mixture is dry, add a little water. Shape into 8 patties. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy 10 inch skillet, add the patties and brown for 4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, sesame seeds and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Measure and set aside 1/4 cup. Add the lettuce and tomatoes to the dressing and toss to mix.
- To serve, fill each pita pocket with 2 patties and 1/4 of the salad mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the dressing into each pocket.