New Orleans Chicken Gumbo
- 1 tbsp unsalted margarine
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium-size stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 can (1 pound) low-sodium crushed tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper sauce
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen okra (can substitute cubed fresh zuccini for the okra)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked light chicken or turkey meat
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt the margarine over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery, and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Slowly stir in the tomatoes and chicken broth, then add the redd pepper sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil - 3 to five minutes. Add the okra, return to a boil, cover, and cook 6 to 8 minutes more. Add the chicken, reduce heat to low, and bring just to serving temperature, stirring occasionally - about 4 minutes. stir in the lemon juice.