Four Bean Salad with Roasted Peppers
- 2 medium-size sweet red peppers
- 1/4 lb green beans, trimmed and snapped in two
- 1 medium-size green pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup cooked and drained black beans
- 1 cup cooked and drained white beans
- 1 cup cooked and drained kidney beans
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 jar diced pimentos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- Preheat the broiler. Lay the red peppers on the broiler pan rack and broil 6 inches from the heat, turning them 3 times, until they are charred all over - 5 to 8 minutes. Place the peppers in a paper bag, set in a bowl and allow to cool for about 5 minutes; this will make them easy to peel. You can also do this on the grill and peeling is totally optional!
- Peel and core the peppers over the bowl, reserving any juice. Discard the seeds, slice the peppers lengthwise into strips 1/2 inch this and set aside.
- In a small saucepan with enough boiling water to cover, cook the green beans for 2 minutes or until tender but still crisp. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, black beans, white beans and kidney beans Add the red peppers, green peppers, celery and pimentos. Add the olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with black pepper and parsley then gently stir to mix. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.