Sopa de Frijoles Negras (Black Bean Soup)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) or parsley (optional)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat for 1 minute; add the onion and garlic and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Stir in the oregano, thyme, cumin, and cayenne pepper, and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, place half of the black beans in an electric blender or food processor and purée, by whirling for 30 seconds. Add the bean purée. the remaining beans, and the chicken broth to the saucepan, reduce the heat to low, and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish, if you like, with the coriander.