What does it mean to age gracefully? It’s not about trying to look like a 20-something. It means embracing your age with confidence, living your best life. It’s not being beautiful in spite of your age, it’s simply being beautiful. Beating the aging process also means having the physical and mental health to fully enjoy who you are.
However, culture often tells us aging is not okay. The media portrays women who are “touched up,” erasing natural signs of aging. Celebrities with unlimited resources turn to the most prominent plastic surgeons, giving us unrealistic expectation of what aging looks like.
Too many times, we buy into the facade. Aging is big business. In 2018, the global anti-aging market(1) was worth $50.2 billion, and it’s estimated to hit $66.2 billion by 2023. That number includes everything from plastic surgery to sunscreen. All to get ahead of the aging process.
In this article, we wanted to focus on famous women and men who are nailing the aging process, naturally. Without the help of plastic surgery, they are embracing their age, and looking gorgeous. Here are our top 10 picks.
- Halle Berry (2) looks as beautiful today as she did when she won the Miss Teen All-American Pageant, representing her home state of Ohio in 1985. She’s 54 now and nailing the aging process. The quote featured on the front of her biography is, “Beauty is not just physical.” Berry credits her youthful glow to basic skincare and always wearing sunscreen.
- Julianne Moore (3) is a natural beauty at 59. What’s her secret? She told Women’s Health that she avoids foods high in sodium, never skips her nightly face care routine and always wears sunscreen. When asked about plastic surgery, she responded, “I hate to condemn people for doing it, but I don’t believe it makes people look better.”
- Tina Fey is not afraid of laugh lines. This 49 year-old has maintained her youthful appearance with minimal cosmetics. She’s even been known to go to public events without make-up at all. That’s confidence!
- Michelle Obama seems to be even more gorgeous than when she became first lady. Despite the stress of the Oval Office and being a working mom, she looks dynamic at 55. Obama has always been a huge advocate for eating a healthy diet and getting exercise. Her former trainer said exercise was a priority. She always “found a way to fit it in.”
- Harrison Ford (4) might not be as boyish as he as in Star Wars, but he is definitely aging gracefully at 77. He revealed to Ellen that he credits his youthfulness to an active lifestyle. He doesn’t follow a strict regime, but he delves into sports he likes, such as biking and tennis. He also eats lots of fruits and veggies.
- Meryl Streep (5) is an iconic actress who has entertained us for decades. At 70, she still looks beautiful. Streep says she opted to age naturally because plastic surgery “freezes your face.” She says her secret is to never touch her face. In addition to spreading bacteria that causes acne and infections, rubbing your delicate eye area can toughen it.
- Hugh Grant. Is it ok that men are beating the aging process too? Hugh has maintained his boyish charm during his decades-long career. At 57, he’s not afraid to show his age. He’s not even coloring his grays.
- Hugh Jackman is 51 and looking more youthful than he did in his younger years. He credits his youthful appearance to a rigorous exercise routine and his happy marriage. That’s right. A happy life leads to lower stress, one of Healthline‘s top ways to combat aging (6).
- Winona Ryder is 47 and says “She loves getting older.” We love that attitude! Ryder is embracing the confidence and self-awareness that come with aging. She’s also a minimalist, sticking to simply sunscreen and lip balm during the day, and upgrading to a tinted sunscreen and lipstick for a night out.
- Idris Elba (7) was named to People‘s list of Sexist Man Alive in 2018. At 47, Elba says he maintains clarity by taking time to decompress. Even if he just has 15 minutes of free time, he will “sit in the dark, stare and do nothing.” His other secret? He tries to go to bed by 9 or 10.
Getting older is a privilege that brings huge opportunity. You’ve learned from your experiences, figured out what makes you happy and are equipped to impart that knowledge to others. Embrace your age! Celebs aren’t the only ones in on that secret, for sure.
- Statista. “Size of the anti-aging market worldwide from 2018 to 2023.” Statista.com. March 2019.
- Thomas, Kayla. “25 Celebrities Who Aged Like Fine Wine.” Popcrush.com. August 2019.
- Spruch-Feiner, Sara. “5 Things Julianne Moore Does to Make 59 Look Like 39.” Womenshealthmag.com. February 2020.
- The News. “Harrison Ford Reveals His Fitness Routine and Secrets to an Active Life.” thenews.com. February 2020.
- Coen, Susie. “Meryl Streep Reveals Her Beauty Secrets that Cost Nothing.” nzherald.co.nz. October 2017.
- Santos-Longhurst, Adrienne. “How to Live Your Best Life as You Age.” healthline.com. June 2019.
- Gagne, Yasmin. “Idris Elba Knows How to Spend His Downtown.” fastcompany.com. November 2019.